[Avodah] Names of the Months

Brent Kaufman cbkaufman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:33:06 PDT 2020

> >>From: Alexander Seinfeld <seinfeld at daasbooks.com>
>
> >>Not only did Moshe have many names, few people called him ?Moshe? in his
> lifetime. (His father called him Avigdor, his mother called him Tovia,
> Bnai Yisroel called him Sofer etc.)
>
> I have no reason to think that Moshe was called anything other than Musa.
It was an Egyptian word (ie. The consonants m-s) meaning ‘born from’. Hence
Ramses was ‘born from Ra’.

The people knew him by that name as part of the royal family. It’s unknown
whether Bnei Yisrael knew that he was one of them and the story behind his
birth and being found by bad Paro. It seems unlikely to let that kind of
information be public knowledge as it would have been dangerous if it was
well known. There are always Dasan and Aviram types around in every
society.

I just always figured that he was called Robby Musa throughout the time in
the desert.

>>You con?t ask about days of the week (in English) - Rav Hirsch writes in
> one of his essays how much it bothers him that people use idolatrous names
> for the week days.
>
> I didn’t ask about them because those names were not brought into the
Torah world by a consensus of chachamim as the months were. Nisan, Iyar,
Sivan are now the official Jewish names and are used in Halachik discourse.
Whereas the days of the week are used without thinking, for convenience;
but are not used in Torah literature.

--
*- "When life gives you lemons, shut up and eat your lemons."*