[Avodah] Chilul Hashem in the Streets: Response to the Protests - Rav Mayer Twersky

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 14 23:46:23 PDT 2020

Sent from

> I think there is a more fundamental problem...
>
> I don't think we should be talking about chilul hasheim. If we don't
> create a culture where mitzvos BALC are thought of as at least as real
> as mitzvos BALM, we are still set up for this problem.

True but the mindset that it really doesn’t matter at all what the world thinks of us is still something of a separate matter. Although a Torah true appreciation of the importance of BALC would probably inherently deal with the lack of concern for others’ perceptions.

> Worrying about chilul hasheim when avaq retzichah is afoot is a total
> distortion of Torah .

Granted. But avak retzicha is rare. The events of the last week are shocking because they are unusual . Whereas  Chilul HaShem of the kind caused by lack of concern whatsoever about what the Other thinks of us is maaseh b’col Yom. Just get on an aeroplane to EY for quick examples. What has been highlighted is how easily the one becomes the other.
Albeit that lack of concern for BALC is the common factor .

> To me this is a "Mi Lashem Eilai!" kind of moment. People are literally
> risking others' lives. We can't stay any longer at the "identifying the
> problem" stage; we need to start working toward a solution. Now.
> With so much of the Frum World having gone OTD, who is leading the
> new kind of Orthodoxy, starting the old-new culture of shemiras Torah
> umitzvos?

> And that is the million dollar question.  I couldn’t agree more that it’s a mi lahashem eili moment. But indeed who are our leviim?
The crisis of leadership in Klal Yisroel has never been more evident than right now. How do we change things? And I mean quite literally and seriously , how do WE change things
Ben