[Avodah] Where is the Molad announced for?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Dec 27 16:38:16 PST 2020

On 27/12/20 10:17 am, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> But the *real* question on the table isn't whether or not *we* should
> care which meridian the molad is based on. Rather, when Rosh Chodesh was
> declared by the Beis Din after interrogating the witnesses, did that
> Beis Din care about such things? It is obvious to me that they must have
> cared, and known, and included these calculations in the verification of
> the testimony of the witnesses. The logic is quite simple: Suppose the
> molad is calculated to be at 7:00 PM, based on the Yerushalayim
> meridian. If someone says he saw it in Yerushalayim at 7:05 local time,
> he can be believed. But if he claims to have seen it in Bavel at 7:05
> local time, he should not be believed, because the calculated molad had
> not yet occurred.

This doesn't work, because the calculated "molad" is the conjunction of
the *average* moon with the *average* sun, both of which are imaginary
bodies.  When witnesses come they report having seen the *actual* moon,
which may well have already had its conjunction, and be visible *before*
the average moon's conjunction.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end