[Avodah] Le'ilui Nishmas an Infant

Brent Kaufman cbkaufman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:08:02 PST 2020

I would tell you that R. Saadia Gaon would agree to the fact that baby
still has a neshama that, like all neshamos, need a tikun or tikunim before
they pass away before they go up to the level above its current, bodily,
level. That's what every nisoyon that a person goes through creates - an
ilui for their neshama. You don't have to come on to gilgul neshama to ask
the question.

Some time after that, R. Saadia, might take you aside and tell you one of
two things.
Either he would say:

*"Yes, I said that because there was reason to be careful of that kind of
spiritual Zeitgeist, at the time I wrote it, that shouldn't be discussing
these things. (Perhaps: "I was sworn not to reveal these teachings to my
generation"). But when it was the Ratzon HaBorei to reveal these things to
a wider public, He did so by sending a neshama to the world 600 (or so)
years after me, named R. Yitzchak ben Shlomo Luria. From that point onward
these matters follow his teachings,..... notwithstanding a few
daatei yechidim that pop up on occasion.``*

Or he would say:

*"Yes, I did write that, and I was incorrect. Those teachings weren't clear
in my generation. The time wouldn't come for another 600 years, that it
would be the Ratzon HaBorei to reveal these things to a wider public. He
did so by sending..."*

b'Kavod to both of you,
Chaimbaruch Kaufman