[Avodah] Special Places

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 14 16:12:03 PST 2020

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 09:12:32PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> If I disagree with the idea that something can be inherently qadosh, then
> what about things that are inherently large, or inherently blue, or
> inherently sweet? ...

See the MC. Yeah, he sees them as different. Qedushah isn't a property
of an object without a relationship to a human.

Maybe you can say an object isn't inherently blue without a human eye
with our eyes and perception mechanisms. A single frequency of photon
or various combinations of light frequencies can all create the same
experience of blue. Maybe you can make a mashal for the MC's take on
qedushah with that.

[Email #2. -micha]

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 08:15:27AM +0000, Ben Bradley via Avodah wrote:
> How does the MC's clal apply to kedusha of of time and of person? I
> presume it would need to apply there unless you posit that kedusha has
> a completely different meaning in those contexts.

> But kedushas Shabbos seems very clearly independant of human input....

Qedushah of person is the one qedushah he *does* allow. People bring
qedushah into the world.

Yeah, I don't know what the MC says / would say about Shabbos. Also
would like to find his treatment of qedushas Yisrael.

Can anyone help?

A lichtikn un freilechn Chanukah!