[Avodah] Unusual Halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 14 15:23:54 PST 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:29:03PM -0500, cantorwolberg via Avodah wrote:
> There is an unusual law in the observance of Chanukah which is unique
> among mitzvos. The Shulchan Aruch rules that one who doesn't have the
> opportunity to kindle Chanukah lights or to have someone lighting on
> his behalf in his home becomes obligated, upon merely seeing Chanukah
> lights anywhere, to recite the blessing "She'asah Nissim," "Who performed
> miracles" (Or ch.676.-3, in accordance with Rashi's interpretation of
> the text in Shabbos 23a).

I think it's because the mitzvah isn't about the lighting of the menorah,
but about pirsumei nissa. Therefore, while there is a mitzvah to light the
menorah, one can accomlish a major aspect of the mitzvah by witnessing the
fact that someone else did, and then acknowledging the neis. And notice
you don't actually say the berakhah "asher qidishanu bemitzvosav". You
say the one acknowledging the neis.

Simiilarly, there is a huge debate -- too many sources for me to keep
track of -- whether one says "She'asah Nissim" when seeing a menorah
when someone else is lighting for you back at home, but you're not there
to see it. The MB (676:6) tells you not to, because safeiq berakhos
lehaqeil. (Meaning, he gave up and couldn't definitively pick a side.)

The other mitzvos you mention -- matzah, lulav or shofar -- aren't about
spreading news. And they don't have a parallel 2nd berakhah.

I know, it's not as poetic as your derashah:
> Chanukah imposes an obligation upon Jews to see things in a special
> light, to apprehend reality in a unique manner....
But it's the given reason.

An enlightening and enjoyable Chanukah!

Micha Berger                 "As long as the candle is still burning,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   it is still possible to accomplish and to
Author: Widen Your Tent      mend."
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF        - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter