[Avodah] simple daf yomi question

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Dec 9 23:00:48 PST 2020

On 7/12/20 10:13 am, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
> why *would* someone have terumah around that they need to burn for
> Pesach?  Does this entire issue -- speaking practically -- only apply to
> kohanim?

I don't see why that would be at all surprising or awkward.  Kohanim are
not exactly uncommon, after all.   And Rabbi Chanina himself was, of
course, a Kohen.

There would also be non-Kohanim who would have terumah in the house
because they have a daughter married to a Kohen, so they keep their
terumah to feed her and her family when they're visiting.  Especially
for Pesach, when we see from Pesachim ch. 8 that it was common for
married women, or at least newly married women, to leave their husbands
and go to their parents' home for the seder.

> (Unless we're talking about a case where you're average Yankel
> the farmer separated terumah but didn't give it over to his local kohain
> yet -- but that didn't sound right.  Should Yankel be burning designated
> terumah?

If it's chometz, then yes!

A better question would be why he would have terumah that is *chametz*.
  Normally he'd have raw wheat, which is presumed not to be chametz.
But an answer is that there is one form of terumah that everyone would
regularly has in their home, and that is usually chametz.  That is
Challah.  Challah is a kind of terumah, everyone has it from when they
bake bread until the Kohen comes to collect it, and it's almost
guaranteed to be chametz.  So on Erev Pesach you'd be likely to have the
challah from the latest batch of bread you baked, and the Kohen has
probably been too busy to come collect it.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end