[Avodah] Catholic Judges in Capital Cases

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 4 09:21:02 PST 2020

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 03:17:08PM +0000, Rich, Joel wrote:
>> The whole idea of a separation of religion and state becomes
>> impossible. Laws should be moral. Religion (including the various forms
>> of atheism as religions for this purpose) provides the framework by
>> which an individual decides what is moral. No judge, for that matter no
>> legislator or voter, could entirely avoid bringing their religion into
>> their politics.

> And if not religion then whatever ethics/morals they've developed from
> whatever source. ... As best as I can understand that it's from the
> gut with an evolution with similarly believing people. I'm trying to
> understand why secularists think that their approaches are any better
> if they think about it cognitively,not emotionally.

This fits perfectly between the parentheses in my previous post --
"(including the various forms of atheism as religions for this purpose)".

By saying that our moral code is supposed to be whatever strategy our
genes have successfully copies themselves with, one is also taking a
religious position. One is enshrining a *lack* of higher calling.

Micha Berger                 There's only one corner of the universe
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   you can be certain of improving,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and that's your own self.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    	    - Aldous Huxley