[Avodah] Fear of G-d Leads to a Change of Heart

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 20 07:45:50 PST 2020

The following is from the sefer Rav Schwab On Chumash:

Bereshis 42:20-21

And bring your youngest brother to me, so that your words may be verified, and you will not die." And they did so.
And they said to one another, "Indeed, we are guilty for our brother, that we witnessed the distress of his soul when he begged us, and we did not listen. That is why this trouble has come upon us."

A G-d-fearing Jew needs to constantly examine his attitudes, positions,
and deeds to determine whether they are in line with the truth of the
Torah. One should never hold on to old policies, old behaviors, or even
old traditions just because, "This is what we decided in the past," or,
"This is the way we have always done it."

The Rav was always re-examining his positions and hashkafos, to be
certain that they were consistent with the emes. In February of 1990, the
Rav delivered an address to his congregation. At that time, he admitted
to having changed his mind regarding conclusions that he had arrived at
as a young man, when he advocated the total severance from his "Torah
im Derech Eretz" heritage. He openly declared that he had re-examined
Rav Samson Raphael Hirsch's philosophy of Torah education, and now
believed it to be not just an emergency measure, but as applicable today
as it was in the years before the Holocaust.

See TIDE - A Second View<https://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/tide_second_view.pdf>

YL