[Avodah] forms of teshuvah

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Tue Sep 22 16:57:21 PDT 2020

From R' Gil Student:
Medieval Ashkenazic authorities prescribed a variety of strong acts of self-induced suffering as part of the teshuvah process, including long-term fasting, lashes, exile and more. Rabbeinu Peretz (Gloss to Semak, no. 53) lists four kinds of teshuvah:
1) teshuvas charatah, in which you regret the sin;
2) teshuvas ha-geder, in which you set additional boundaries for yourself to avoid sinning in the future;
3) teshuvas ha-kasuv, in which you undergo the punishment listed in the Torah for your sin;
4) teshuvas ha-mishkal, in which you inflict yourself with pain corresponding to the amount of pleasure you enjoyed with your sin.
Of these four, the first is what we consider standard teshuvah and the second is going above and beyond. The third and fourth are not - and should not be - practiced today. The Vilna Gaon's brother (Ma'alos Ha-Torah, introduction) makes clear that we cannot undergo these harsh forms of teshuvah in our time (his time, even more so in our time) and emerge physically and religiously healthy. Instead, he recommends intense Torah study.

Me- what is the nature of the paradigm change claimed by the Ma'alos Ha-Torah?
Gct
Joel rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.