[Avodah] Davening BiYehidut on Yom Kippur

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:16:13 PDT 2020

.
R' Aryeh Frimer asked:
> Has anyone seen literature about the following Issues when
> Davening BiYehidut
> (1) saying Kol Nidrei - You need a Bet Din to be Matir Neder, but
> perhaps it can be said as a Notification for the future  [a la
> Rabbenu Tam] - using the language "MiYom Kippur Zeh ad Yom kippurim.

R' Akiva Miller answered:
> No, I haven't seen any literature on it, but just off the top of my head:
> Even if Notification doesn't need a beis din, I would imagine that it
> certainly needs some degree of publicity. Maybe one's family will suffice.
> Perhaps you can compare this to the various situations where one is
> mafkir something, and the conditions that apply there.

In a nutshell, you can see it here on Sefaria: https://tinyurl.com/y2qgtuyx

It's a Mishna in Nedirim 3:1, discussed in Talmud 23a, codified in
Yoreh De'a 211 to which the Ba'er Heitev decides that as long as one
said it loud enough to be heard to one's own ears, it's valid.

None of the commentators along the way mention publicity. The only
issue they have is "Devorim She'B'Leiv" if it's whispered or thought.

Along the way I learnt:

You can say it ("just kidding about the Neder stuff") any time.

Those who hold you don't have to say it right before making the Neder,
don't give it an expiration date - IOW once a lifetime should be
sufficient.

Bottom line: If it works, you can chant the "futuristic" Kol Nidrei to
yourself in an undertone. CLOR.

Gmar Chasima Tova

- Danny, not a Rabbi by any stretch of imagination.