[Avodah] 10PM Slichot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Sep 8 08:01:13 PDT 2020

On 7/9/20 7:02 am, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Anyone know why R’ Moshe in O”C 2:105 didn’t suggest pre-shacharit
> slichot rather than 10Pm slichot as a stand in for chatzot (midnight)
> slichot on the first night of slichot when there was a clear and present
> danger?

The teshuva isn't about the first night, it's about all the days of
selichos, and the situation is that it's impossible to do it either at
midnight *or* before dawn.

He takes it for granted that selichos must be said at night, Kumi Roni
Valayla, and at an Eis Ratzon, which means any time between midnight and
dawn, and says the minhag to do it at the end of the night, before dawn,
is for convenience.

So he reluctantly allows it after the first third of the night, with the
proviso that it must be publicised that this is a hora'as sha'ah.  Why
doesn't he even consider doing it in the morning after daylight?  I can
think of two possibilities: Perhaps because selichos must be at night;
or perhaps because people have to go to work and can't fit selichos in
at their normal time for shacharis, and it's already posited in the
question that for some reason they can't start earlier.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end