[Avodah] Davening at home on Yamim Noraim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 4 10:58:49 PDT 2020

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 08:45:46PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> It is my opinion that merely shortening the duration does little or nothing
> to improve the quality. Fifteen minutes of rushed mumbling is no better
> than an hour of it, except that people will be less resentful of the time
> that's been taken from them.

Speaking specifically of "echad hamarbeh. ve'echad hamam'it..." and not
trying to fit more services into the same number of rooms in the same
morning or other pandemic issues...

The idea is usually invoked for those of us who abbreviate Pesuqei deZimra
in order to say fewer peraqim of Tehillim in the same time the minyan
is saying more of them. Not to save time, but to spend more thought and
similar time on fewer actions (in this case, speech).

BUT...

The past century has seen a HUGE shrinkage (sorry for the oxymoron)
in attention spans. So, the more likely alternative of 15 minutes of
rushed mumbeling may be better than an hour of mumbling while one's
mind wanders. For many people, even on Yamim Noraim. May even have a
net minus in the minimal kavanah of a rushed mumble.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   isn't complete with being careful in the laws
Author: Widen Your Tent      of Passover. One must also be very careful in
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter