[Avodah] Concern of bishul akum with coffee

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 10:49:59 PDT 2020

Bishul aku"m only applies to foods that are olim al shulchan melakhim.
Qiddush can be made on chamar medinah. Seems to be a lower standard,
when it comes to drinks, as the masses are unlikely to be pickier than
their kings.

The AhS (OC 272:12) ranks yayin and then sheikhar ahead of other drinks,
but does include sweetened tea among the things one may make qiddush
on. Similarly, IM OC 2:75.

(Likely an indication of the price of sugar, RYME names tei matoq
in particular as chamar medinah, not just writing "tei". Another measure
of their poverty is his discussing their general use of raisin wine,
as a reason why they were allowed to choose sheikhar even if wine was
available. Meaning, I don't know if the AhS would allow this choice
for us today.)

But I am wondering benogei'ah to our original topic is whether it's
possible to formulate a consistent shitah in which coffee can not be
used for Qiddush and also cannot be used if bishul aku"m.

Micha Berger                 Every child comes with the message
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   that God is not yet discouraged with
Author: Widen Your Tent      humanity.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Rabindranath Tagore