[Avodah] Blowing shofar with a mask on the end

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 23 06:11:31 PDT 2020

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 04:04:56AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 21/8/20 3:07 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> As Zev already posted, the OU considers it permissible if the mask does
>> not affect the sound.

> No, the OU states as a fact that it does not affect the sound...

As per the rest of the post you're quoting:

My comment was that they take it for granted that the mask(s) they tested
with are indicative of the mask a member shul may be using. I would not.
(Had I been in the OU, I would have been more specific about which brand
mask.) But I'm not questioning their pesaq that listening on the other
side of the mask is the original qol and not a "qol havarah". ("Hatoqeia
lesokh habor, mishnah RH, on top of 27b in Vilna Bavli)

I therefore isolated their halachic stance which from their depiction
of the mtzi'us. Because I wanted to raise the question whether, even
leshitasam, is a piano tuner or other person with sensitive hearing can
hear a difference the rest of us can't, would he be yotzei.

Micha Berger                 You want to know how to paint a perfect
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   painting?  It's easy.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Make yourself perfect and then just paint
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    naturally.              -Robert Pirsig