[Avodah] Re'eih vs Shema

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:03:54 PDT 2020

RMB reminded me of a vort I heard and said over at this week's Shabbos table.

The opening word of the Sedra - Re'eih - is seemingly superfluous. "I
present you today with [the ability to choose between] blessing or
curse".

What does "Look! I present you...." add?

The answer was exactly as RMB proposed:

> Whereas re'eih introduces the basis of bitachon. It's a way of viewing the
> world and framing our experience -- seeing Yad Hashem in events. Quite
> different than an abstract truth.

We need to look around and see how choice and its consequences are
built into the creation.

Kol Tuv

- Danny