[Avodah] avoiding the issue

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jul 14 12:55:07 PDT 2020

On 14/7/20 2:25 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Nu, so for the Briskers, I takeh think they don't believe that a pesaq
> settles the din anymore. As the Rambam put it, Rav Ashi veRavina sof
> hora'ah.

Or, they believe in psak in principle, but not in their own ability to
pasken, and they're not too sure about your ability either, or his or
his or his.

But I think there's also a good helping of the gemara's statement that a
baal nefesh doesn't eat meat on which a psak was required; as the
proverb goes, "a shayla macht treif".   Only if the heter is found
explicitly in the sources, so that no reasoning was needed can one eat
the meat without any qualms.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper