[Avodah] FW: Yehareig velo ya'avor

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 14 11:21:12 PDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:18:07PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I posted on this issue here and on another list:
>> If a Ben Noach [Noahide, i.e. non-Jew] is being forced to abrogate
>> one of his 7 mitzvot...

> I received this [from Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter]:
>> If you accept the authority of Rambam, this is black-letter law.  See Sefer
>> Shoftim, Hilkhoth Mlakhim UMilxmotheyhem, Chapter 10, Paragraph 2: "A Ben-Noax
>> who is compelled to violate one of his commandments is allowed to do so

> Thanks for the cite! If you check out the mishneh lmelech there

For those who didn't look, it's at:
https://beta.hebrewbooks.org/rambam.aspx?rtype=%D7%98%D7%A2%D7%A7%D7%A1%D7%98&mfid=104611&rid=15005

>                                                                 he refers
> to the parshat drachim derech atarim (drasha #2) who makes exactly the
> argument I proposed as why a ben noach would be required to give up his
> life rather than kill someone.

But also says "debishfichus damim mitzvah haben-noach sheyeihareig ve'al
ya'avor". By making it about "mai chazis" it isn't about the 7 mitzvos
in general, or even the other two mitzvos that for Jews are yeihareig
ve'al ya'avor. Rather, because the only question is who dies, not the
comparative values are life vs obedience.

Micha Berger                 When we are no longer able to change a situation
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   -- just think of an incurable disease such as
Author: Widen Your Tent      inoperable cancer -- we are challenged to change
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    ourselves.      - Victor Frankl (MSfM)