[Avodah] Induction stovetop halachic status

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 7 13:16:24 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 01:59:50PM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> Rav Hershel Schachter has a fascinating essay in his Sefer about when we
> say lo plug by gezeros and when not. It has been a while but I believe he
> says that gezeros are all lo plug except if the reason was written into the
> nusach of the gezera.

The problem is, that determination is often non-trivial to make. Where
is the end-quote -- is the explanation part of the quote of the wording
of the gezeira, or the gemara's explanation of its purpose stated and
stated after the quote?

We discussed this idea many years ago, when I proposed this was the root
of the machloqes about basar kafui.

Very related is that it is also sometimes unclear when something is
a pesaq in existing law, and when a gezeira. If it's a pesaq, then
applicability is built in whether or not it's stated. Pesaqim only hold
if the situation is materially the same. What the gemara says about
putting out a burning house on Shabbos wouldn't apply to a wood-frame
house in an urban or most suburban settings because the risk to life is
simply different. Like the Peri Chadash vs the Chasam Sofer about chalav
yisrael; the PC says CY is a pesaq, so he has little problem saying that
CY is moot when there is other disincentive to adulterating the milk.

Micha Berger                 Man can aspire to spiritual-moral greatness
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   which is seldom fully achieved and easily lost
Author: Widen Your Tent      again. Fulfillment lies not in a final goal,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    but in an eternal striving for perfection. -RSRH