[Avodah] FW: Yehareig velo ya'avor

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Fri Jun 26 06:18:07 PDT 2020

I posted on this issue here and on another list:

> If a Ben Noach [Noahide, i.e. non-Jew] is being forced to abrogate
> one of his 7 mitzvot, does he have a requirement to give up his life
> rather than comply?  Presumably he is not directly covered by vechay
> bahem [you shall live in them].
I received this:

If you accept the authority of Rambam, this is black-letter law.  See Sefer
Shoftim, Hilkhoth Mlakhim UMilxmotheyhem, Chapter 10, Paragraph 2: "A Ben-Noax
who is compelled to violate one of his commandments is allowed to do so

Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter
.
=================================
Thanks for the cite!  If you check out the mishneh lmelech there he refers to the parshat drachim derech atarim ( drasha #2) who makes exactly the argument I proposed as why a ben noach would be required to give up his life rather than kill someone.
KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.