[Avodah] risk/reward

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 25 16:16:35 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:25:14am GMT, R Joel Rich wrote:
> Not commenting on the advice that was given on timing reopenings, but I'd
> just point out that from a risk/reward standpoint at this point in time,
> the Rabbis are probably wise to follow it in their own self-interest...
>                  How does halacha take these considerations into account?

I cannot see justifying "self-interest" in and of itself as a halachic
motivator. That way leads Historical School Judaism and the C movement.
(To the extent that I don't think that's what you meant.)
BUT...

Well, pesaq does include societal concerns, in addition to black letter
law. There are things that are assur because of slippery slope concerns,
for example. Not just gezeiros, but because the next person may go one
step further.

So, I could see erring on the side that maintains emunas chakhamim
because it's better to miss a few minyanim (even for an aveil) that to
have people second guess a future pesaq about dinei nefashos or issurei
kareis! Especially in the current cultural climate, where second-guessing
authority is so common.

Micha Berger                 Mussar is like oil put in water,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   eventually it will rise to the top.
Author: Widen Your Tent                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF