[Avodah] sakanta/issura

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 17 13:48:29 PDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 12:23:37PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> The Chatam Sofer (Chulin 9b) says that it's pashut why sakanta is
> different from issura since by issura its hkb"h who made the rules so if
> he said we can rely on rov it's fine whereas by sakanta even a minority
> endangered can't be brought back from the dead.
> 1. How does this square with strong form of timtum haleiv?

> 2. How do you explain to amcha the difference between halachic reality
> and reality reality?

Well, amkha is heavily influenced by Chassidish philosophies. The Chasam
Sofer was no fan of Chassidus. No reason to assume that the CS's hashkafah
would be consistent.

But one could take a middle approach... HQBH allows rov when it comes
to issur not because it's better to play the odds when it comes to
metaphysical safety, but because only violating certainties is dangerous.

When it comes to bitul, this idea is invoked within a fully Chassidic
framework. By eating something in which the issur was batul, you can
release the nitzotzos that were in the davar ha'asur that had no other
way of release. More tiqun is brought to the world than eating something
that didn't require bitul.

So... if metaphysical risk is not statistically ignored but batul and
rendered non-exitant, one could still have a causal approach to these
things and still justify chamira saqanta mei'issura.

But as you know from the timtum haleiv and protection-of-mezuzah
discussions of the past 22 years, I'm more of the "violating the rules
has consequences" camp than believing the rules exist to protect from
dangerous metaphysical entities.

And as I said, I would be kind of surprised if the Chasam Sofer wasn't
too.

Micha Berger                 The true measure of a man
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   is how he treats someone
Author: Widen Your Tent      who can do him absolutely no good.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Samuel Johnson