[Avodah] Eruv Tavshilin - Shavuos Erev Shabbos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun May 31 05:38:58 PDT 2020

On 28/5/20 3:14 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I am pretty sure we discussed this in the past, but I couldn't find it
> in the archive.
>
> Today's eruv tavshilin is a rarity as Friday is Yom Tov mideOraisa. We
> are permitting hakhanah on YT deOraisa for Shabbos.
>
> I was wondering how eruv tavshilin works in this case. Why isn't it
> ha'aramah?

There are two opinions in the gemara on why Eruv Tavshilin was
instituted in the first place: Lichvod Shabbos or Lichvod Yomtov.

The first opinion is that it is indeed a ha'arama, and before the takana
we simply did the ha'arama openly and that was how we prepared for
Shabbos.  The chachamim never forbade it, because how else could we
prepare?  But then the chachamim got concerned that this was an insult
to Shabbos; we were officially saying that Shabbos was a day when we
were planning to eat only leftovers.  So they decided  require us to
prepare at least one thing especially for Shabbos, and if we didn't do
that we would no longer be allowed to use the ha'arama.

The second opinion is that on the contrary, before the takana we didn't
need any ha'arama.  It was simply permitted to openly prepare on Yomtov
for Shabbos.  But the chachamim got concerned that this was an insult to
Yomtov, so they said no more, we must now use a ha'arama, and in order
to make the ha'arama plausible we must make an eruv and pretend that is
all we plan to eat on Shabbos, just to save Yomtov's face.

On the first view the ha'arama is permitted as a sort of bediavad, for
lack of any other alternative.  On the second view, on the contrary, the
ha'arama itself is the takana, i.e. we're only pretending to use a
ha'amara when me'ikar hadin we don't even need one.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper