[Avodah] "shemo"s" as an acronym for shenayim miqra

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 26 07:25:22 PDT 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 08:04:52PM -0400, Michael Poppers wrote:
> a comment noting an allusion to the *mitzva* is not the same as referring
> to the *mitzva* by its acronym, and methinks R'Micha was considering the
> latter when he wrote what he wrote.

What I wrote unexpectedly became way more conversation than it deserved.
Although it was nice to have triggered citation of meqoros.

I was just thinking of those of us who aren't from Chassidishe communities,
or didn't have my experience of going to a Middle School where the rabbeim
were Chassidish, and might not recognize the acronym right away. So, before
explaining the acronym, I explained why they shouldn't feel silly not
recognizing something Zev took for granted. While not making it sound like
I was accusing Zev of intentionally obfuscating.

You could even know the Baal haTurim, the Levush and/or the AhS and not
recognize the acronymn shem"os when used as a noun in conversation.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 47th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF             unity-how does it draw out one's soul?