[Avodah] "shemo"s" as an acronym for shenayim miqra

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Mon May 25 17:04:52 PDT 2020

In Avodah V38n41, RSBA replied to R'Micha:
>> (Note, I learned about "shemo's" as an acronym for shenayim miqra from a
chassidishe rebbe in Jr High.

Personally, I have only encountered that acronymn inside the chassidish
veldt.)
> See the first Baal Haturim in Parshas Shemos.
(and I've seen that reference elsewhere, e.g. fn1 to the
Halachipedia article I previously mentioned, URL
https://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Shnayim_Mikra_V%27Echad_Targum;
but I cannot find it in my MG or in my ArtScroll BhT, nor do I see any
commentary at https://mg.alhatorah.org/Full/Shemot/1.1#e0n6, including the
Tur, speaking to the word "shmos", or the first or last letter of a group
of four words, being an acronym for the *mitzva*; so RSBA, if you have a
text that you can digipic/scan or point to, please let us know.  Even
assuming that BhT did, say, note the letter from a group of four words
spelling out the acronym for this mitzva, the type of comment he often made
[or quoted from his teachers]...)
a comment noting an allusion to the *mitzva* is not the same as referring
to the *mitzva* by its acronym, and methinks R'Micha was considering the
latter when he wrote what he wrote.