[Avodah] The tallit without tzitzit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 25 14:40:57 PDT 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:27:06PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> It is my least favorite story, yet it is attested to by a highly reliable
> source and deals with a very important (IMHO) question. Hence I raised
> it without the details to discuss the application today to zoom minyanim

We discussed the story in a thread started by RJK
at http://lists.aishdas.org/pipermail/avodah-aishdas.org/2018q2/042647.html

There is a variation whether one woman or a group of women were involved,
which is why RJK questioned its veracity.

R Mayer Twersky, R Meiselman, the Frimers and R Seth Mandel all tell
the story. R Meiselman and the Frimers both write that they were told
the story by R Yehuda Kelemer, the rabbi of the YI of Brookline at
the time, and that the story happened in the mid-70s.

RSM writes:
> Most of the women accepted this response, because the Rav treated
> their question with genuine respect and listened to their grievances.

So, I guess you had to be there.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 46th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   6 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Malchus: How can some forms of
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                       "unity" be over domineering?