[Avodah] Street Minyanim

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Mon May 25 06:33:22 PDT 2020

Fascinating. It has been a long time since I read Rupture and
Reconstruction, and I certainly had not remembered that footnote.  And there
is some logic to sourcing the change in Ashkenazi psak to the Gra (despite,
from what I can see, us rarely following him halacha l'ma'ase).  But, while
the Gra himself might fairly be said to involve an absence of precedent (and
oddly, I have a similar sense when reading the commentary of the Chazon Ish,
which is rather at odds with his image), I don't think that is true of the
Hayyei Adam, Aruch Ha-Shulchan or more modern poskim who follow that derech.
More accurate, it seems to me, is the statement that it is the text of the
Talmud as mediated by the rishonim collectively that form the basis of the
precedent.
R'HS alludes to the psak revolution in litvishe circles somewhere in this shiur:
https://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/956878/rabbi-hershel-schachter/inyonei-shavuos/
Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Inyonei Shavuos
IIRC he states it as going back to the GRA and his successors vs. going back to old style psak methodology(Pre-Gra)
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.