[Avodah] Simchas Torah, post-covid19

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Sun May 24 11:32:36 PDT 2020

(Replying onlist after clearing my thoughts w/ RAMiller offlist.)
In Avodah V38n38, RAMiller responded to me:
https://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Shnayim_Mikra_V%27Echad_Targum
>> tells me that *l'chulei alma*, individuals are obligated even when
>> there's no communal reading.
> No. Halachipedia's words are "that there's an obligation of Shenayim
Mikra even for someone who heard Torah reading in shul." That's pretty much
the same as the words of both Rambam Tefilah 13:25 and Mechaber 285:1 -
"Even though one hears the whole Torah each week b'tzibur, he must read it
to himself each week."
> One could easily interpret it to mean "Even though he hears it b'tzibur,
and certainly if he doesn't hear it b'tzibur," but it's NOT explicit in the
text. One could just as easily say that "Yashlim adam parshiyosav im
hatzibur" would not apply if there's no tzibur reading it.
> It is worthwhile to note that Halachipedia points to an interesting
Hagahos Maimoniyos on Rambam Tefila 13:25. He quotes the Raavan as holding
that Shemo"s applies ONLY to those who live in villages and don't go to the
shul to hear the parsha. The Raavan understood "IM hatzibur" to mean that
those yechidim should be reading the parsha at home at the *same time* as
it is being read in shul, but the Hagahos Maimoniyos disagreed.
Please have a look at the Hagahos yourself (
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=9713&st=&pgnum=197, start at the
6th narrow line); or, if you wish, BY 285:1b (at
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14265&st=&pgnum=475, it's
*d'h'* "aval"
and start at the 2nd wide line).  The RaAVaN
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_ben_Nathan> holds that BT
B'rachos "l'olam yashlim" does not apply when someone hears the *sedra* read
at a *minyan* but rather only applies to someone who has no Shabbos-morning
*minyan* to attend [so *yashlim* at the time that a Torah reading is
occurring] -- that has been our pandemic-related situation! -- and the
Hagahos argues that "yashlim" applies to that someone whether or not he can
attend a *minyan* that Shabbos (i.e. not only when he has no *minyan* but
also when he does), so sounds to me like l'chulei alma, all someones are
obligated l'hashlim when they cannot attend a *minyan*.  Does that help, or
do you still disagree?  Thanks.
(RAMiller responded, "Thank you for pushing me to review this. It seems
that I had missed the Hagahos's words 'b'chol inyan', explicitly meaning
whether there's a tzibur or not.")

Gut Chodesh and Yuntef!
and all the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA