[Avodah] BAmidbar or BEmidbar?

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Sun May 24 06:30:44 PDT 2020

 On  Thu, 21 May I copy and pasted from the blog "The Dikdukian,"

... the name of the parsha is clearly Bamidbar. The custom has been to
>> isolate the word
>> or words that are the title and conjugate accordingly. This is why we have
>> Tazriyah and not Sazriyah. Mishpatim and not HaMishpatim (since we do not
>> use v'aileh and clarify it with asher ...). Devarim and not HaDevarim.
>> Since the reference is to a specific desert (Sinai) the hay hayediyah is
>> implemented. The names, according to tradition, are clearly not just the
>> word or words of the beginning phrase.

However, this would entail that instead of Sefer Shemos, we should call it
Sefer Sheimos (the non-possessive form of the word used repeatedly in
parshas Bamidbar).

Zvi Lampel

PS--I see that this was pointed out by RMB and JFS, and that the latter
added Sefer Mshalim and Parashath Axarei HaMavveth.