[Avodah] zoom minyan

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 21 14:28:57 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 07:41:13AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> So why is a zoom "minyan" different than a woman putting on a tallit
> without tzitzit? (I think you know the story I'm referring to)

Your question is like saying that if you enjoy a kumzitz, you should
question whether your tefillah betzibur is really based in the Torah.

Even if your cases are similar, many rabbis wouldn't agree with RYBS's
approach. After all, most of us believe Judaism does have ceremony and
is enhanced by practices that are neither halakhah nor minhagim that
follow halachic forms.

That's why most posqim have little problem with the way the Three Weeks
and 9 Days have been observed. But RYBS felta need to correct them to
match the halakhos of stages of aveilus for a family members.

The Brisker Rav, RVZ, OTOH, distinguished between minhagim that have
halachic forms and those that don't. Arguing that the former get a
berakhah, and the latter do not.

>From there to saying there are benefitial hanhagos tovos that aren't
minhag nor "Brisker chumeros" is a hop-skip-and-a-jump.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 42nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   6 weeks in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Malchus sheb'Yesod: Why is self-control and
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF     reliability crucial for universal brotherhood?