[Avodah] Naming a Girl when there are no minyanim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue May 19 06:36:58 PDT 2020

> The Bnei Yisaschar maintains that a daughter should be named at the
> first opportunity, because a Jewish name infuses /kedusha/ into the
> child. For a boy, one must wait to give the name at the /bris/, but a
> girl should be named as soon as the father receives an /aliya/.

Even in the case of a boy it's not actually necessary to wait for the
bris.  The usual practice when the bris is long delayed is indeed to
wait, and in the meantime to just call him "the baby" or by such
nicknames as "Tzadikel", but I know of one case where a rav advised that
rather than wait several months the name should be given at a
mi-sheberach, just as it would be for a girl.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper