[Avodah] Mumcheh Kemeia

Moshe Koppel moishk at mail.gmail.com
Mon May 18 03:45:49 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> ...Shabbos 61a yesterday, and what defines a kemeia mumcheh.
> Chazal appear to define expertise in the same terms as chazaqah
> -- it it works three times.
>
> Double blind studies weren't invented yet. So, if the kemeia works
> 3 times out of 40, it's a kemeia mumcheh? ...

> Anyway, I wish I could tie this train of thought in with a sad piece
> of news from yesterday, the passing of R Nachum Eliezer Rainobitch...

Apologies for not getting to this sooner. See what RNER z"l wrote in Yad
Peshutah on Hil. Shabbos 19:13-14, where Rambam discusses the issue. He
doesn't get into your statistical question there at all, but says what
you'd expect him to say about quackery. (You can navigate there in Otzar
Hachochma, but I can't get a direct link to work.)

Moish