[Avodah] Funeral of a married Bas Kohen

Toby Katz t613k at aol.com
Fri May 15 11:11:17 PDT 2020

 In Avodah Digest, Vol 38, Issue 32 dated 5/11/2020

From: Akiva Miller <akivagmiller at gmail.com>

.A kohen is allowed to attend the funeral of his sister, but only so long asshe is unmarried....I alwayspresumed that this was an indication of how women leave their father'sfamily to join with their husband's.

....Her father is still allowed to be m'tamei himself, even though he hasmarried her off.
Are any explanations offered for this difference? Is it simply an exampleof the brother-sister bond being weaker than the parent-child bond? Or issomething else at work here?
Akiva Miller

There are other halachos that seem to indicate a father-daughter bond is stronger and more permanent than a brother-sister bond.  For instance, a father can kiss his daughter but a brother can't kiss and hug a sister who is married.  A father can live with his daughter but a brother and sister can't live together for more than thirty days (I think).

--Toby Katzt613k at aol.com