[Avodah] Tree in the City

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed May 13 06:13:28 PDT 2020

On 12/5/20 8:26 pm, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> .
> On Areivim, in the thread "Drone Footage Shows Israel's Most Crowded
> City Under Coronavirus Curfew", R' Zev Sero wrote:
>
>> But the Halacha does not allow trees in cities.  It seems the
>> Torah does not agree with the modern idea that greenery in
>> cities is a good thing. It wants plants and crops separated
>> from the cities by 1000 amot.

> I recall hearing this before, once upon a time. But I don't recall ever
> seeing it inside. Can you suggest a source that applies to cities in
> general?

I only found a source for Yerushalayim, and for the area just outside
any city's walls.  But the fact that trees are not allowed in
Yerushalayim (except for the rose garden on Har Habayis) would seem to
indicate that they did not share our sense of aesthetics in this regard.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper