[Avodah] Plants in Cities Coronavirus Curfew

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue May 12 19:22:04 PDT 2020

Re: Yerushalayim, see Hil' Beis Habechira 7:14.

Re any city, see Bava Basra 24b.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one more source but I can't remember where.

[Email #2.]

On 12/5/20 6:04 pm, Micha Berger wrote:
> We also know from Y-mi Kelayim it was normal to have a small vegetable
> garden; I didn't imagine anything that tiny would a far walk from
> the home.

It was probably part of a larger farm.  The main farm grew wheat, and
there was a small vegetable patch on the side.

 From the sources I gave earlier it would seem that their idea of urban
beauty just did not include greenery.  Gardens and orchards were
pleasant places to spend ones time, but outside the city where they
belonged, not in the city.

One might also speculate that at least part of the idea of the migrash
was military -- you want a clear area around the city so that the enemy
can't sneak up on you, and so you have a clear field to target them with
projectile weapons.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper