[Avodah] Street Minyanim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue May 12 16:29:23 PDT 2020

On 12/5/20 4:11 pm, Chana Luntz via Avodah wrote:
> But let's think a little deeper as to what is meant by shaat hadchak here:
>
> a) is the shaas hadchak that if we don't allow these porch or zoom
> minyanim, then there will not be minyanim anywhere in the world [...]
> with the loss of the benefits of tefilla b'tzibbur, such as HaShem
> accepting the tefilos?  [...] surely just because we say it is a
> minyan doesn't mean that HaShem has to treat it as a minyan.[...[
> should we be substituting Halachically dubious minyanim instead, on
> the grounds this is a shaas hadchak?
>
> b) is the shaas hadchak that if we don't matir these minyanim, people will
> go off and form regular ones [...]
>
> c) is the shaas hadchak the mental health of the participants [...]

I think the only way we can understand "sh`as had'chak" is that we
*don't* consider these minyanim "halachically dubious". Rather, we hold
that me`ikar hadin they are acceptable minyanim, even if not ideal. When
we have alternatives we try to accommodate the stricter opinions as
well.  But when we have no alternative we can't daven without a minyan
just because there are opinions that don't like it; bish`as had'chak we
fall back on what we believe is at the end of the day a valid opinion
that can be relied on.  "Kedai hu lismoch alav bish`as had'chak."

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper