[Avodah] Report: Orthodox Weddings to Resume with "Approved Model" in New Jersey: Rabbi Aaron Kotler

elazar teitz emteitz at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:17:17 PDT 2020

The comment was made that
The statement was made that

> it feels intrinsically wrong, at least to me, to be carefully avoiding
> weddings during sefira due to a plague that occurred nearly two thousand
> years ago, and yet not be prepared to defer such weddings due to our very
> own plague, right here and now.

     I feel that it misses the point of the s'fira prohibitions to
attribute them to "a plague that occurred nearly two thousand years ago."
The commemoration was not decreed because of the loss of lives during the
plague; it was because of the major diminution of Torah knowledge which
resulted from it. It was not because there were deaths, but because of who
died and because of the effect on klal Yisraeil of their deaths. Hence,
there can be no comparison to today's tragedy, which thus far, and halevai
veiter, does not have that negative effect.

EMT