[Avodah] Lag B'Omer-Rabbi Akiva's Talmidim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 12 14:16:51 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 06:42:51PM +0000, BenS via Avodah wrote:
> It has always bothered me. that R'Akiva's student died during the Sefirah
> period.AS the Gemara states" Shelo Nahagu Kavod Zeh Baze,.Just because
> of Kavod they died? Usually people die because of "serious": avairos.What
> that the "serious" aveira that caused them to die?

Well, tzadiqim are judged kechut hasa'arah. So, it depends who these
people were. But I have another theory.

> True, they did not always follow their Rebbes dictum of Veahavta
> leraiacha Kamoche, But is that a reson to kill off the future leaders
> of Bnai Yisroel?

We don't know -- maybe R Aqiva started saying that because they died.
Maybe the teaching didn't exist yet for them to ignore it.

But here's my theory:

The Beis haMiqdash was destroyed some 60 years prior because of sin'as
chinam. R Aqiva built a whole education system that would restart the
transmission of Torah and get us going throughthe years of galus.

That Torah couldn't be founded on people who didn't know how to respect
each other. First, it wouldn't be Torah. Second, it wouldn't be a means
of weening us away from the very mistake we're in galus for!

Micha Berger                 Today is the 33rd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Hod: LAG B'OMER - What is total
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF             submission to truth, and what results?