[Avodah] What is the reason behind the minhag to light bonfires on Lag B?omer?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue May 12 09:23:58 PDT 2020

On 12/5/20 3:45 am, Danny Schoemann via Avodah wrote:
> And how can we end off without the Tosefta in Shabbas (Ch. 7:1 -
> https://www.sefaria.org.il/Tosefta_Shabbat.7.1  ) that mentions that
> one who dances to a flame is committing AZ. The Minchath Yitzchak
> comments on the page "as the Goyim do on known days; they make a
> bonfire and dance around it".

The key word there is "*to* a flame".  "*Le*shalhevet".  Not "around" or
"near", etc. Of course people dancing around a campfire or bonfire,
whether on Simchas Torah (as was the old Minhag Ashkenaz) or Lag Ba'omer
or any other time, are not dancing *to* it or regarding it as a person
of any kind.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper