[Avodah] What is the reason behind the minhag to light bonfires on Lag B’omer?

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon May 11 07:01:11 PDT 2020

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

A. Lag B’omer is the yahrtzeit of Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai (the great Tanna and Kabbalist, who authored the Zohar). In a letter written in 1489, Rav Ovadya Mi’Bartenura reports seeing a multitude of torches lit on Lag B’omer at the grave of Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai in honor of his yahrtzeit. Just as there is a custom to light a candle for the neshama of a relative on his or her yahrtzeit, so too there is a custom to light torches by the grave of Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai on his yahrtzeit. The Aruch Hashulchan (OC 493:7) writes that Lag B’omer was also the day that Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai was able to exit the cave where he had been hiding for twelve years. For the same reason, there is a minhag to light bonfires throughout Eretz Yisroel on Lag B’omer in honor of Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai. While it is more common in Israel, some light candles or bonfires outside of Israel as well.

Many other reasons are offered for this minhag. Here are some:

  1.  The Bnei Yisaschar (Iyar 3:6) writes that on the day Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai passed away, the sun did not set until Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai finished teaching the hidden secrets of the Torah to his students. To remember this miraculous event, we light bonfires at night to brighten the sky as though it is still day.
  2.  The Bnei Yisaschar (Iyar 3:3) also writes that there were many hidden secrets revealed that day that lit up the world. We therefore light fires on this day as a remembrance of the light of his Torah.
  3.  The Gemara relates that when Rebbi Shimon bar Yochai emerged from the cave, wherever he gazed was consumed by fire because of his great spiritual level. Because he left the cave on Lag B’omer, we light fires to commemorate that miracle.