[Avodah] Celebrations Lag baOmer Evening

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun May 10 18:09:56 PDT 2020

On 10/5/20 7:37 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:

> I am not saying those who actually have a minhag to celebrate at a
> bonfire Lag la/ba'Omer evening are wrong. It's all minhag after all.
> I am just asking about the permissibility of the more recent spread
> among yeshivos and other communities, for whom the custom of ending the
> mourning is at haneitz (dawn), not the night before.

Again, it depends what it is that one is marking in the first place.
The end of aveilus for Talmidei R Akiva doesn't happen until at the
earliest the morning of the 33rd day.  But Simchas Rabbi Shimon begins
in the evening.

So perhaps what is happening is simply that as the influence of toras
hanistar is felt more widely, communities where the celebration of
Simchas R Shimon was not common in previous generations are beginning to
celebrate it, and thus to turn it from a mere cessation of aveilus to a
day of actual simcha.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper