[Avodah] levels/gates of tuma?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 4 14:53:13 PDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 09:43:32PM +0000, Ben Bradley via Avodah wrote:
> > RYH notes that this explains why the omer is ony 49 days to get from the
> > 49 sha'arei tum'ah to 49 sha'arei qedushah and Matan Torah. If these were
> > indeed levels, then getting from -49 to +49 would require 98 or 99 days
> > (depending on whether there is a level 0).
>
> At the risk of being too baale batische perhaps a simpler explanation
> would suffice for this question...

I don't think there is "simpler" than taking the words at face value
rather than reading in things that create problems. Al ta'am varei'ach.

But R Chaim Vital titled a book "Shaarei Qedushah", and while I don't
know much about it, that speaks loudly to the idea existing -- and
pre-existing RCV.

> OTOH Kedusha and tuma can exist simultaneously eg a shechted kodshim
> animal can become tamei, but it stays kadosh.

> Ok, midrabanon there's such thing as al taharas chulin, al taharas
> hakodesh, but that's a technical issue in tevila, not essential to tahara.

Al taharas heqedesh isn't even a derabbanan. It was a common neder
people made. Not everyone ate chullin ath"q.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 25th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Netzach: When is domination or
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                        taking control too extreme?