[Avodah] How To Religiously Respond to the Pandemic

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 23 18:52:36 PDT 2020

And now the article from Yated Neeman by R' Avrohom Gordimer
<https://yated.com/reacting-to-the-coronavirus-mageifoh>:

    Yated.com
    Reacting to the Coronavirus Mageifoh
    By Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer
    Apr 22, 2020

    The coronavirus pandemic has tested us in ways we never could have
    imagined. We search for explanations, for what COVID-19's divine
    message might be, and how this extremely trying situation fits into
    Hashem's grand scheme of things--all while hunkered down, locked out of
    our yeshivos and shuls, and tearfully davening for the countless cholim
    and agonizing over the numerous petiros, r"l.

    How are we to digest this all? It seems overwhelming and confusing, and
    the quick solutions so often seem to not be the dvar Hashem, lacking
    emes. But as frum Jews, let us go to the mekoros and try to properly
    orient ourselves and establish an authentic Torah perspective.

    The Rambam writes in Hilchos Ta'aniyos (1:1-3):

    It is a mitzvas aseh in the Torah to cry out and sound the chatzotzros
    on every tzoroh that comes upon the tzibbur... And this is from the
    ways of teshuvah--that when a tzoroh comes and people cry out and sound
    [the chatzotzros], everyone will know that it is due to their negative
    actions that evil has befallen them...

    And this will help cause the tzoroh to be removed from upon them. But
    if the people do not cry out and sound [the chatzotzros], but they
    instead say, "It is merely part of how the world operates that this has
    come upon us, and it just happened by chance," this is the way of
    cruelty, and will cause the people to retain their evil ways, and
    additional tzaros will therefore come...

    Interestingly, the Rambam does not state that the tzoroh must have
    resulted from a singular aveiroh which needs to be called out; the
    Rambam instead refers to "negative actions," a plurality of "ma'aseihem
    horo'im" and not a "maaseh ro."

    What emerges is that there might not be a uniform cause for a mageifoh;
    rather, each individual must engage in teshuvah and introspection, and
    determine what he needs to correct in his own life. The idea of
    pointing to a singular aveiroh of which everyone is guilty is absent
    from the words of the Rambam, and short of a novi or a person blessed
    with ruach hakodesh, who can make such a declaration? There might be a
    multitude of various wrongdoings that brought about the crisis.

    We must also keep in mind that Hashem can bring yissurin shel ahavoh
    upon total tzaddikim (Berachos 5a), who are free of aveiros. And let us
    not forget how Hashem condemned Iyov's friends for suggesting that his
    suffering was due to transgression on his part. These concepts
    reinforce the idea that it is not the job of people to point to their
    peers' afflictions as punishments for their actions; each person must
    evaluate his own deeds and determine for which acts he needs to do
    teshuvah.

    How different is this from the words of modern-day, unlearned
    pontificators, who seek quick, one-size-fits-all reasons for
    calamities, thereby leaving a trail of confusion in their path, as
    people listen incredulously and often walk away with mistrust and
    cynicism.

    There is also the popular (and well-intentioned) tendency to attribute
    calamities to bi'as haMoshiach. Halevai that we are in the time of
    Moshiach--it cannot come soon enough--but the Rambam (Hilchos Melochim
    12:2) clearly cautions us not to engage in predictions about the coming
    of Moshiach or even to try to figure out how the Messianic era will
    unfold. Not only does intense focus on this not engender yiras shomayim
    or ahavas Hashem, as the Rambam writes, but it also results in mass
    disillusionment and worse when the suggested interpretations and
    predictions turn out to be wrong--we have witnessed this throughout
    Jewish history.

    (And let us not forget the words of Rav Shach, who equated people's
    attributing the Yom Kippur War to the onset of bi'as haMoshiach as a
    manifestation of the middoh of Amalek, by such people ascribing
    suffering to outside forces rather than taking a look at our own
    deeds.)

    Contemporary prognosticators, who would have us believe that every
    single unusual event, including the outbreak of COVID-19, signals that
    Moshiach is here, are doing a colossal disservice to klal Yisroel and
    would be wise to follow the words of the Rambam and be mindful of the
    exhortation of Rav Shach. Hashem will let us know when Moshiach is
    here, and we daven that it will be as soon as possible--but until that
    point, let us focus on our avodah, and examine and correct our paths as
    needed.

    The devastating phenomenon of COVID-19 gives rise to some additional
    thoughts:

    The "Derech Hateva" Illusion

    The massive tragedy that is coronavirus has humbled us. When COVID-19
    first reached these shores, some people confidently advised young
    people to disregard it, because in China, the disease primarily
    impacted the elderly. Derech hateva was the name of the game--we can
    outsmart the mageifoh, as it is part of nature, which we can predict
    and try to control. (As NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared, "We control the
    virus. The virus doesn't control us.") We then shockingly witnessed the
    mageifoh ferociously fell many young, healthy people, including
    outstanding bnei Torah and leaders of our kehillos and mosdos. We dare
    not play the derech hateva card and forsake the derech Hashem.

    Teva has a role, of course. Hakodosh Boruch Hu set up fixed, perpetual
    systems and mechanisms upon which we must rely--but when we deal with a
    mageifoh as if it is something we can self-assuredly outmaneuver as a
    facet of teva, rather than as a divinely-decreed phenomenon and
    aberration in the natural order, we are sorely mistaken and are going
    the way of the secularists.

    Proper Use of Time--A Most Precious Gift!

    Although my "day job" (which often occupies me late into the night, as
    is the case with many people) has kept me incredibly busy during the
    coronavirus lockdown, many people now find themselves with loads of
    excess time on their hands. Some individuals have used the time to
    stare at the walls, at their screens, at their bottles of liquor, which
    they then liberally enjoy... while some have spent this "extra" time
    productively, learning Torah and helping others.

    For those who have little constructive to do, aimlessly drudging
    through the day, time is an enemy that needs to be killed--"killing
    time." For those who use their time well, it is a precious gift from
    Hashem that dare not be wasted or squandered; for such people, there is
    not enough time in the day, even during the lockdown, to squeeze in all
    the good that one can accomplish. The current coronavirus quarantine
    has made this realization glaringly acute and has frontally challenged
    us to evaluate how we use and value our time.

    Appreciating the "Normal"

    How often do we complain about our routines--the commute to work, the
    quality of the restaurants we frequent, and our various social
    obligations and errands to run. But now, if only we could do these
    things! We take our routines for granted, but now that we are frozen in
    place, we long for the ability to go out for a slice of pizza--even at
    a less-preferable eatery--or to be able to host company at our Shabbos
    and Yom Tov tables... and more.

    The very fact that we can walk, breathe, learn Torah, perform mitzvos,
    and just be alive should instill us with immense appreciation to
    Hashem, especially as we agonize over those who have perished. Let us
    ever gratefully thank Hashem for the mere "basics," never take anything
    for granted, and realize that there are so many people who do not have
    these things, even without the COVID-19 situation.

    Davening

    As much as we long to enter our botei medrash and shuls, saddened as
    these holy edifices sit empty and dormant, we have at last been forced
    to come to terms with our own davening. We can no longer mindlessly
    rush through the words, justifying it as necessary to keep up with the
    minyan/get out in time for work/whatever else; we now stand before
    Hashem, with nowhere else to go, no tzibbur to regulate our pace, and
    no one crowding into the seats next to us, which might disturb our
    kavonoh.

    We are in the literal presence of the Ultimate King, the Creator and
    Controller, with our siddur open and all the time in the world to daven
    properly and beseech our benevolent and loving Father and Boss. This is
    an opportunity and a test, which demonstrates whether our davening is
    for real, or is an empty act. Let us make sure it is the former!

    Fidelity to Halacha

    Although I do not have the time to follow them closely, I am a member
    of email and text groups of rabbonim who are sharing and answering
    unique shailos that arise under the very trying circumstances of the
    coronavirus pandemic: how to do taharah and kevurah for niftorim,
    kashrus guidelines for people who could not access certain foods for
    Pesach, how to operate mikvaos and perform brissim under severe
    limitations, shailos about cholim and elderly people who were alone for
    Yom Tov, etc. For each shailah, a cogent teshuvah was presented by
    poskim, who upheld halachic standards and dispensed only with things
    that are not essential, due to the exigencies. This is the derech of
    psak in sha'as hadchak, as is the case now.

    In contrast, some maverick left-wing and Open Orthodox clergy have used
    the COVID-19 crisis as justification to further depart from halacha.
    For example, one Open Orthodox leader advertised that he would this
    year turn electricity on and off during Yom Tov Sheni of Pesach, and he
    suggested that others do the same. One left-wing Israeli rabbi
    advocated the use of bathtubs instead of mikvaos, another such rabbi
    supported performing cremation instead of burial, calling cremation "a
    mitzvah," and others advocated for conducting "Zoom Sedarim"--live
    video-streaming of one's Sedorim and inviting relatives to tune in to
    these Sedarim on their computer on Pesach (!).

    This is all totally against halacha--some of these rabbis later said
    that they were misunderstood or misquoted--but the fact remains that
    these very problematic "psakim" went public and in many cases were
    actually followed. In challenging times, one can rise to the occasion
    and be moser nefesh for Torah, or he can show his true colors. The
    current situation has confirmed this axiom.

    "Out-of-Touch" People

    We all know ehrliche Yidden who are out of touch with what is
    happening, both regarding the frum velt and the world in general.
    Although one should not be addicted to the news, and it is meritorious
    to be a poreish--insulating oneself from the frivolities of the times
    and avoiding that which is not necessary--we are speaking about people
    who do not stay current with essential developments and could be
    described as living in a bubble.

    These individuals might not open their mail/read their emails in a
    timely manner, not look at important notices posted in shul, not stay
    abreast of current events, be unaware of basic communal happenings and
    obligations, and be unaware of recent simchos (or chas v'sholom, the
    opposite) in their neighborhoods. We all know such people, and we often
    notify them of these very basic things, so that they are at least
    minimally informed and able to navigate through life and society.

    The COVID-19 outbreak should serve as a warning signal to
    "out-of-touch" people, who in some cases had no idea of the dangers of
    close mingling with others and were oblivious to the restrictions that
    were promulgated by the rabbonim and the government--important basics
    that were broadcast everywhere. The coronavirus should likewise inspire
    the rest of us to do our best to persuade our brethren who are detached
    and disconnected from the norm to change their ways for their own
    wellbeing, in a literal sense. This is yet another unexpected lesson
    learned from the current circumstances.

    Becoming Baalei Achrayus

    There are many grown people--some of whom are grandparents, or are at
    least old enough to be--yet they have never really prepared for Pesach,
    leaving it up to their parents (or hotels), who host them for the
    entire Yom Tov. Bedikas Chometz, kashering a kitchen and running a
    Seder are almost foreign concepts to these people. This year,
    everything changed, as our brethren of all ages prepared their homes
    for Pesach and conducted their own Sedarim. Despite the negative
    circumstances during which this occurred, it compelled people to take
    achrayus and lead, and it is something to seriously think about.

    Empathy

    We are often asked to daven for cholim; they are frequently people we
    do not know, and can become mere "names," with little personal
    connection or significance. During the coronavirus outbreak, just about
    every single one of us knew individuals who were in the throes of death
    or who were niftar. It really hit home--we davened fervently for so
    many cholim to whom we were close, and personally experienced their
    suffering.

    Let us move forward and continue to empathize with each person for whom
    we daven, cry for their suffering and, with Hashem's help, be able to
    rejoice in their recovery. We must become people of personal empathy
    and authentic, heartfelt concern for every single member of Acheinu
    Beis Yisroel.

    We daven to Hakodosh Boruch Hu for rachamim, refuos, yeshuos and
    besoros tovos, and that we properly learn the lessons of this very
    difficult period in our lives.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 14th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   2 weeks in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Malchus sheb'Gevurah: How does judgment reveal
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          G-d?