[Avodah] [TM] Parashat Zachor with Different Pronunciations

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 11 13:53:57 PDT 2020

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 08:58:20PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 4/3/20 2:15 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> But what really struck me was the close. As it also relates to the growing
>> practice of multiple shofar blowings to make sure some are al pi Rashi,
>> some with Brisker shevarim, shevarim-teruh in one breath or two, etc...

> How to distinguish this from the universally accepted practice of blowing 30
> kolot instead of 9, in order to blow the 9 according to three different
> minhagim?

Chazal wanted everyone doing the same thing, but rather than mandate one
definition of the teru'ah to the exclusion of the others, we all do all
three of them.

This innovation breaks from everyone doing the same.

But more than that... Chazal had the power to pasqen and would have
pasqened if they didn't feel this compromise brought more achdus.

Being chosheish for shitas Rashi after centuries of no one (or kim'at no
one) blew according to shitas Rashi is an unwillingness to pasqen. And
an unwillingness to accept that the halachic process can actually say
A is right and B wrong. It's questioning the whole concept of pesaq!

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot