[Avodah] [TM] Parashat Zachor with Different Pronunciations

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 03:53:00 PDT 2020

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> At this point, Brisker chumeros seem to me more a lack of
> confidence in the halachic process.

Very well phrased! I have often felt this way, but was unable to find the
words to express it. Thank you.

For example, I often find popular articles about halacha which will say
something like, "It is questionable whether the halacha is this or that, so
one should ..." I find myself yelling at the page: "It's questionable? So
answer the question!"

And yet, it is common to find this same idea offered by the Mishne Brurah
and others, not to mention the eponymous Briskers.

So when is it appropriate and when not? This is too subjective for me to
answer. The individual must ask himself honestly whether it is truly too
difficult to decide which view to pasken like, or whether the "Brisker
chumra" is just a lazy cop-out.

A second question he should ask himself is whether the question even
*needs* an answer. If it is not a d'Oraisa or even d'Rabbanan issue, then
perhaps there's no real halachic difference between the two possible
answers, and each person should choose for himself which he prefers.

Akiva Miller