[Avodah] [TM] Parashat Zachor with Different Pronunciations

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 4 11:15:13 PST 2020

In a recent post in Torah Musings
<https://www.torahmusings.com/2020/03/parashat-zachor-with-different-pronunciations>,
R Daniel Mann answers a question about a new practice some have regarding
parashas Zakhor.

Again, snippets:

   Question: My shul has always read Parashat Zachor once, with our
   regular havara (pronunciation). Some people now complain that we do not
   follow other shuls and read multiple times with different havarot to
   fulfill the mitzva according to more opinions and to do the mitzva
   properly for Sephardim. Should we change our minhag?

First he brings arguments that one doesn't need correct havara to be
yotzei. Whether because the deOraisa doesn't need to be in lashon
haqodesh, or perhaps has no specific text, or RMF's (IM OC 3:5)
proof from chalitza that havara is not meqev, or that an Ashkenzi
who doesn't distinguish between alef and ayin may serve as chazan for
Ashkenazim... The latter two arguments saying that "correct havarah" is
societal.

Still, one might need to have Parashas Zakhor available in many havaros
if the community is of people of different eidos. At least as a chumerah.

But what really struck me was the close. As it also relates to the growing
practice of multiple shofar blowings to make sure some are al pi Rashi,
some with Brisker shevarim, shevarim-teruh in one breath or two, etc...

   Several (Teshuvot V'hanhagot ibid.; Halichot Shlomo ibid.; Aseh
   Lecha Rav VI:22) mention hearing of such a new practice and consider
   it strange. They reject it as being disrespectful to the tzibbur,
   to the rest of our lainings, and/or to past generations who did not
   do such things. I would not criticize a minyan that decides to do so
   anyway (some fine places do), and there are circumstances in which
   there is a stronger argument (e.g., there is no minyan in the area
   of other eidot), but it is wrong to criticize the normal minhag for
   not adopting this innovation.

In the early days of the list, I was particularly prone to Brisker chumeros
(trying to be yotzei as many shitos as possible) or to chumeros or pesaqim
that allow expression of how I understood the mitzvah hashkafically. I
think learning a cycle and a fraction of AhS Yomi has toned that down.

At this point, Brisker chumeros seem to me more a lack of confidence in
the halachic process.

As for hashkafically motivated pesaq, that's still with me more. But I
think I've gotten to an age where I finally understand the value of
continuity as well.

(I mentioned before, though, my mother's observation about the family
she married in to. My grandfather got to the US too young to be aware of
most of his minhagim and therefore ended up acting as per R/Dr Mirsky's
shiurim. My father's decades of "the Rav's" (RYBS's) Tues night shiur,
and repreatedly took on the implications of those shiurim. And then my
own habits. Doing what fits what we learned in shiur last IS the onky
continuity my family practice has.)

Micha Berger                 Live as if you were living already for the
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   second time and as if you had acted the first
Author: Widen Your Tent      time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF          - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning