[Avodah] Mistaken minhagim

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 11 08:43:23 PST 2020

R' Martin Brody <martinlbrody at gmail.com> wrote:

Don't know if it's the earliest, it's certainly very old and Chazal,
to Rambam rejected it. But most of y'all will be doing it next
Shabbat. That is, standing for the 10 Commandments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that Rambam's rejection can
be distinguished from what we do now.  The Rambam also held that we never
change the trop.  And so, lishitaso, this makes sense. since he holds that
we should always leyn aseres hadibros in ta’am tachton, and so it appears
we are placing more importance on one part of the Torah above other parts.

My understanding, further, is that RYBS concluded that when we leyn with
ta’am elyon then it becomes clear that we are re-enacting kabalos haTorah,
in which case it’s perfectly fine to stand.

-- Sholom