[Avodah] Mistaken Minhagim - That Cannot be Stopped

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Feb 7 07:43:50 PST 2020

On 6/2/20 8:41 pm, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:

> But to be serious, I believe RaMBaM did his best to cancel the
> repetition of the ShE by the Chazan - but he should have known better -
> one NEVER wins an argument with a Chazzen.

1. As I understand it he succeeded, within his area of influence, and
chazarat hashatz disappeared for several centuries, until at least the
Radvaz's times.  (Though his takana was only for Shacharit/Musaf on
Shabbat, and for Mincha only if it was getting late.)

2. More importantly it's not an example of this phenomenon because it
was *not* an incorrect minhag.  Not even the Rambam claimed it was
incorrect.  The Rambam simply thought a new problem had arisen, which
required a new takanah invoking eit laasot to override this correct minhag.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5780 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper