[Avodah] Is Making Kiddush on Schnapps a Problem?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 28 14:20:15 PST 2020

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 04:26:56PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> Please see https://vosizneias.com/2020/01/19/is-making-kiddush-on-schnapps-a-problem/
>     Is Making Kiddush on Schnapps a Problem? -- Vos Iz Neia
>     By Rabbi Yair Hoffman for 5tjt.com

The SA (OC 271:13; AhS s' 30) says that kiddush (when not the seder)
only requires melo lugmav. Which is equal to most of a revi'is, so
we're talking about 1.8 oz.

The MA says that lekhat-chilah, rov kos should be drunk.

HOWEVER, my father taught me something not in this article. That one
can fulfill the lekhat-chilah by pouring the cup to many people, so that
rov kos is drunk but no has to drink more than melo lugmav to do so.

Doable with whisky, but the meqadeish is drinking a double shot.

Back to wine, AhS says that beshe'as hadechaq -- like if you would be
left with nothing for day qiddush or havadalah -- you are yotzei with
te'imah.

Seems to me that gives the meiqilim room when dealing with shnapps which
"fills the mouth" with far less than rov of a revi'is.

The bigger problem is that in 472:9, using chamar medinah is described
as bedi'eved, when no wine is available. That's rare in our economy.

Micha Berger                 We are great, and our foibles are great,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and therefore our troubles are great --
Author: Widen Your Tent      but our consolations will also be great.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabbi AY Kook