[Avodah] Halachic accidents?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 8 12:03:38 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 7:12am EST I replied to RJR:
> Third possibility: They saw the two sides as supportably within eilu
> va'eilu, and indeed let the challenges to halakhah of their times be a
> factor in choosing which.

This reminds me of another question RJR (was it RJR or is my memory
playing tricks?) asked years ago about Goedel's Theorem.

Halakhah is immune from Goedel's Theorem:

Halakhah on the Divrei Elokim Chaim / dialectic level allows for Eilu
veEilu. THere is no Law of Contradiciton, A and not-A can both be Torah,
so Goedel's proof fails.

Halakhah lemaaseh is not a closed formal system, because -- as I am
arguing in this thread -- history matters. It's not a clean room exercise
detatched from the realia the poseiq and sho'el/alim are living in. More
info from the outside can influence the answer. It's not the kind of
system math is, so Goedel's proof fails here too.

Micha Berger                 With the "Echad" of the Shema, the Jew crowns
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   G-d as King of the entire cosmos and all four
Author: Widen Your Tent      corners of the world, but sometimes he forgets
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    to include himself.     - Rav Yisrael Salanter